Do you shoot just to shoot?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Do you shoot just to shoot?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have overheard in the past some say, ” I shoot just to be shooting” I hope that’s not the case at Reese Bottom. I am constantly trying to improve my shooting game and I hope I’m shooting against people who are doing the same thing. I want to shoot against people who are trying their best to win. That is the only way to know how we stack up and if our efforts are paying off. If you don’t shoot as good as you wanted to in the first round, don’t just throw in the towel and “shoot just to be shooting” try to improve on your next target. If at the end of the day you are not pleased with your performance, go to the range alone and try again. If still not happy, change something, don’t give up. We have too much money invested on good equipment that CAN perform and there are plenty of people willing to help if you need it. Let’s all come to the upcoming F Class match with the intentions of shooting 3 clean targets. That’s my intentions and my goal. I know the odds are stacked against me, but I’m still going to try my best to shoot a 600. If I don’t do it, I will continue to keep that as my goal. That’s the only way for me to improve. I hope you all agree with me.

I’m waiting to hear your thoughts……

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Dan, you have brought up an idea that I have often thought about. I think that it is unrealistic at this point for me to plan to shoot 600 out of 600. I was so proud after the last mid range prone match that I had actually shot my personal high score of 584. I am anxious to see if I can validate the effort next week at the match. Realistically, I think progress from this point on will be very small and slow, but I do plan to try my best on every shot that I send down range. I really think that I learned from some mistakes last month that will allow me to shoot better this month. Looking back at the last match, I think the conditions were very favorable for good shooting. With that being said, I am not sure that it would be fair to say that since I shot 584 last match, I could expect to shoot 585 this match. Nasty conditions could make that impossible. I enjoy shooting against all of the good shooters at Reese Bottom, but honestly I shoot against myself. If you out shoot me, so be it, as long as you had to shoot very well to out shoot me. WWE

Anonymous
        Inactive

Wynne I do not think it is realistic that I could shoot a 600 either. But, if I keep that as my goal, I will have to continue to get better to even get close. That’s what my point is, I want to be the best that I can. My best may never get me a 600 score, but that’s what I’m shooting for and I hope deep down that’s everyone’s goal, whether or not they ever admit that.
        I too shot my best last time 587 with my .223. To me, that was a big feather in my hat and like you, I want to try and validate that this month. If I end up shooting in the 560’s or 570’s, I’m not going to quit striving to do better, it’s just going to fuel the fire even more to get some extra trigger time. I haven’t had time to practice any in the last 2 months, but I know that trigger time is the key to success. I just enjoy the shooting so much and I have the hope that everyone else that comes to Reese Bottom has the same level of passion for the sport as I do. I want to see everyone shoot good. I too am shooting against myself more than against you and I don’t mind being beat by anyone. That just means they shoot good too and that’s why we are all here.
        Now let’s have fun shooting some high scores…

Anonymous
      Inactive

I always try to best my last score but seems like I have hit a hard level to overcome. I have shot several 600 yard matches over the last 3 years and I always score somewhere between 587-589. I have shot 590 only once. My personal goal is to get my high master card from the NRA before my health and sight slows me down much more!! Guess I need to practice more from prone position.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Damn Steve, did you just have to mention “SIGHT” man that’s a low blow. I am going to move for a new rule here on the bottoms site——– Rule #1 No one can mention the word sight on this site. :>)

For the record no small nor large animals or children of any size were harmed, folded, mutilated or stapled in the making of this post, not even any mean ones like lions or tigers or rattlesnakes, not even a bear.

Gunny

Anonymous
        Inactive

Hey Gunny, what about the glasses? Did they work? Looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dan, Yea man they did work. Had a appointment with the eye dock today, the guy who did my surgery, with the glass’s I got two weeks ago my eyesight is adjusted to 20/25, and I can tell they are in need of replacement now just in two weeks. I still can’t focus on an object very well but I can see clearly, before it was all just a blur.

I drove myself up to Hunstville for that appointment and Joanne rode shotgun, that is a big deal for me right now. Saturday I am going to drive down to Linden solo. Anyone see that big old green Dodge Dually piled up in a ditch somewhere be sure and stop and say Hello!!

Gunny

Anonymous
      Inactive

Man that’s good to hear. Call me if you get in a bind and I’ll come fetch you and get you where you need to be.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.