Click or Hold Off?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Click or Hold Off?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Barr
      Participant

When shooting a string in the F class mid range at Reese Bottom, do you a) chase the spotter, b) hold off based on wind and or mirage, or change your scope settings? Or do you use a technique different from those listed?

brett collins
      Participant

MR AL i am trying to learn to quit chasing the spotter all over the place. right now trying to pay attention to the wind flags. and hoping to be more consistent. but boy do i need a lot of practice at this. but some day maybe i will get hang of it.

Al Barr
      Participant

Brett you do a fine job of shooting. I tend to chase the spotter because I either don’t or can’t pick up the wind changes. Mirage gives me fits also.

If the Gunny would give us his wind class; I believe that the Reese Bottom shooters would seriously improve their scores.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have got caught up in chasing the spotter but all good shooters advise against this! I now try to watch the wind even before I take to the line and try to determine the prevailing wind direction. I dial for the wind speed of that wind and try to shoot when the flag or mirage is close to that condition. After the windage has been set I then hold off based on the wind. Hope this makes sense!

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve your reply does make sense and I believe that is what I’m striving for.

The scores that you have on the books at Reese Bottom mid range F class validate your technique. Thanks for the insight.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Man “O” man is this a loaded question Al. Here are a few thoughts to chew on a little, in the end all shooters are going to “HAVE” to find there own way.

All of the competitions we shoot are in truth, the shooters skill against the wind. Find a system that works should be something to strive for. Here is a little shooting fact as well: we will take the .308 as an example. On the official F-Class 1,000 yard target a .308 will not hold the 10 ring with a “1”,one, MPH change in wind speed. I don’t know about you folks but I cannot determine a one MPH pickup without a wind speed indicator, those are illegal in competition by the way.

As to Al’s question about dialing or chasing the spotter. I just hate the term “Chasing the spotter” if you in fact do this and this alone it will in time bite you. Using the spotter disc in F-Class as just one tool in a box full of tools we can and should be using.

Another thing or tool is to have an absolute “True Wind Zero”. If you don’t know what your wind zero is everything you do after that is just a guess. Learn to read the wind before you ever fire a shot. As an example when I set down or lay down and I am ready to shoot I have this True Wind Zero on the scope. I then determine what I believe the velocity and direction of the wind are. If there is Mirage (It is your best friend by the way) you can find the “EXACT” wind direction with your spotting scope. lets say just for the sake of argument that the, Wind Flags and the Mirage are showing a wind from right to left. But the direction is hard to find even with the flags. if you are shooting at 1,000 yds or 600 yds you need to find a surface to read the mirage off of. Mirage is almost always read best from a Horizontal surface. This is easy at Reese because of the target frames. Set your scope up and focus it at about 1/2 or two thirds of the way to the target. Now the mirage shows this right to left condition, now take your scope and swivel it to the right until you find the mirage in a boil. This will be the true wind direction, now you can make a informed correction.

I personally use mirage more than any other indicator during my course of fire. I do this because Mirage has no Mass, and there is no time lag from one condition to another. The wind flags do have Mass, another words they weigh something, This mass allows a lag time from a wind change. Lets say we are shooting this same right to left wind condition. The Flag is waving and then suddenly drops, showing a lull, never shoot a lull by the way. You are in the zone and watching that flag suddenly you drop a shot in the eight ring and wonder why, then the flag goes back to where it was. Because the flag has mass the time it takes to show a let off or a pick up is not instant, it takes time for the flag to register the change. Mirage on the other hand has “NO” mass and thus shows changes instantly.

Both the Flag and the Mirage are tools e need to learn how and when to use each. Also another tool is that spotter disc it fits in there with all of the indicators showing you the real Point Of Impact.

Gunny

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, thanks for an interesting thread and thanks fellows for the good information offered. Several years ago, I noticed this older gentleman constantly practicing his putting stroke everyday on the putting green. When I asked him what he hoped to accomplish, he asked me if I knew how one gets to Carnegie Hall? He answered his own question: Practice, Practice, Practice. Where in the world did that come from? Al, I do believe that wind reading and mirage reading are abilities that can be learned, but it takes a lot of time at the range behind the trigger and scope. Go to the range and see for yourself the flag flop and the mirage that Gunny talks about. Establish that absolute wind zero, determine a condition, aim center ‘X’, call the shot, see where it impacts. Wait on a different condition, aim center ‘X’, call the shot, see where it impacts, etc, etc. Determine what the different condition was that caused the bullet to have a different point of impact.

I have a smudge pot at the shed and some days when I notice the mirage between the shed and road, I will light the smudge pot, get out the spotting scope and wind meter and try to determine what is going on. A lot yet to be learned.

I am attaching the F-Open and FTR results for the match this past weekend in Tullahoma, Tn. I see a couple of familiar names. Appears to be a two day 5 X 20 X 600. The results suggest that to be competitive, we need to hurry up and figure something out.

Al, I have always wondered: if the spotter disk comes up in the ‘X’ ring, is it okay to chase it?

Al Barr
      Participant

Gunny, thanks for reengaging. As always, your sage advice cuts through the fog and points us in the direction we need to go.

Wynne, keep feeding us the good tips, we do listen and try to learn.

Jeff Fish
      Participant

I noticed these are some of the exact fundamentals that I need to focus on a lot more to be more consistent. Good reads!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.