Bullet seating dies

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Bullet seating dies

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Barr
      Participant

I have the Redding micrometer competition seating die for a 7/8-14 press and the Wilson straight line type for arbor press.

My question is; which type do you use?
      Al

Tony Graham
      Participant

Al,
      For my Heavy Gun (.300 Atlas) I use an RCBS 7/8- 14 custom microtop seater.
      My son’s Dasher I use a Neil Jones microtop hand die w/ Arbor press. This is a bushing die. .265” bushing, .266” chamber and a .264” loaded round.
      The best seater in my opinion is the Newlon Microtopped seater. http://www.newlonprecision.com/ with a Mitutoyo micrometer.
      I have one for my 6mm Odin, .284 Shehane and .30×68 Thor. Each die has been chambered with the Finish Reamer. I run a loaded round NK diameter -.002”-.003” Maximum under the chamber diameter. I also use Custom FL bushing type sizing dies from Neil Jones. Neil’s dies use a proprietary insert that is honed to match my fired cases. There is no better sizing die on the planet, bar none (no matter what anybody says). Run out on my loaded rounds are .000”! The only cartridge listed above that I don’t yet have a NJ sizing die at my house for is the .284 Shehane. Should be two more weeks on it. It’s been since January. It takes a while!
      The nice thing about Neil is that if you design a Wildcat, he’ll take your reamer print and make a die that will neck size only. Then send him 3 cases fired 3 times w/ no sizing on the third and he’ll hone the insert to match those cases perfectly.
      I purchased a Whidden 7mm Shehane FL bushing die for the .284 Shehane project. POS (it uses Redding NK bushings)! NJ bushings cover the NK, Shoulder and about .020” of the case body. It will be for sale as soon as I get my NJ FL die. The loaded rounds have a visible cant to them. Run out is probably in the .1s.
      With all that being typed, in my opinion, the seater is not the determining factor for run out. I think that if you have a good FL sizing die and just about any seater, you’ll make good rounds.
      I have noticed after the last half dozen threads you have started, that you have been thinking entirely too much! I am just kidding w/ that statement. If I didn’t care I’d not reply. You are falling into the trap! It is the trap of science. You’ll find that is not about winning. It is more about doing something different. Thinking and having fun listening to everybody else, w/ their experiences, good or bad.
      I’ll start another thread for this!

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, after reading Tony’s response, I am ashamed to mention what I am doing and would love for someone to tell me that I am crazy. We recently chambered my rifle into a 6mm dasher and I am using my old Forster 6mmBR seater die to seat the dasher bullets. My thinking was that nothing touches but the seater and it seems to work well. WWE

Well i can say I have seat dies for every rifle I own so I do not have to readjust any of my seaters.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wilson dies and an Arbor press is what I use. I started double weighing my powder charges lately and have been shooting 2 1/4 inch groups at 720 regularly so I’m happy with my loads!

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve, if you keep shootin’ like that; I’m gonna start getting those injections in my neck!

Al

Al Barr
      Participant

Tony, as always, I enjoy your replies and learn from them. As you know, there is a ton of precision reloading info out there in print and the internet.

My problem is that I’m stubborn, opinionated, hard headed and want to see results on paper. When I try something; I don’t know if it’s my shooting or the info that is the problem. Being a trained investigator, I strongly suspect my shooting. My solution is to ask questions of those who have “been there, done that, got the T-shirt” and shoot well enough to prove or disprove the info floating around.

Al

Tony Graham
      Participant

Al,
      There is nothing wrong w/ questioning anything that you read on the www. But your question asked for the seater die (don’t take that line the wrong way). In my opinion the seater is an after fact for making straight rounds. Your sizer will begin the process of a canted round. Yours may not, they may be perfectly straight! I spoke to Wynne after this thread was started and we discussed this.
      I don’t own one of those soupped up run out indicators. I have ran my rounds across my buddy’s and they read .000”. The same Buddy that is running for shooter of the year and his RO his .000” also. Both of us are using NJ sizing dies.
      I am not saying that is what it takes to shoot small by no means! Steve G. is using Wilson hand dies for seating. It is obvious that his sizing die works well with his chamber, as the groups he is reporting from 720 scare me. All I am saying is that here must be a perfect match between the chamber and the sizing die before you run the round into the seater.
      From my experience w/ the Whidden bushing FL sizer for my .284 Sheahane. The cant has got to come from the sizer. For one, it does not size all of the neck. Secondly I am using a Newlon seater that has been reamed by Britt w/ the chamber reamer. That alone should give the loaded round only .003” clearance inside seater. Once it comes out of the seater w/ the bullet in place, you can see (naked eye) that it is canted.
      Hopefully I’ll be there on the 16th, you and I can talk if you’d like. Don’t expect me to win, Reese Bottom is my Nemesis.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.