Are Your Reloads Heat Sensitive!!!

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Are Your Reloads Heat Sensitive!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I would love to hear from many of you about your experience with your reloads and their reaction to a temperature change. Do you shoot the same load year round or do you adjust for temperature? Do you do your load development at a certain temperature and the adjust your load as the temperature rises or falls? If so how much? Thanks, WWE

I do have some loads that will not shoot in the summer time all of them are in 300WM i found out by working up load in the winter and trying to shoot them in the summer,some work but most don’t in my rifles.

Ron Lewis
      Participant

Wynne
      Temperature greatly affects your reloads. I shoot a midrange load in most of my rifles that is tuned to the middle of the node using a ladder test method of load selection. Therefore for me, when the temperature changes I’m still pretty close to my reasonance barrel frequency.

I know guys that load to the maximum pressure that their rifle will stand without blowing primers. If you work that load up on a day that it’s 40 to 60 degrees and head for the range on the 4th of July when the temps are pushing 100 degrees, might as well take a rubber hammer and a cleaning rod with you because you going to need them to get the case out of the chamber. Needless to say, this is mighty rough on your brass and could be dangerous in some rifles.

After 30 years of shooting hundreds of rifles and thousands of rounds, I have almost always had better results shooting a stiff load about 10% below maximum. If you are popping primers you will usually have vertical displacement of your shots.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.