An Ammo Question

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room An Ammo Question

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I have seventy something rounds of .223 ammo that I plan on shooting at the February Mid Range Prone match that I actually loaded for the November match and for some reason did not shoot. That will put this ammo having been loaded for approx. three months. Question is: what should I expect? Does anyone have any experience with ammo loaded for that long or does anyone know of any tricks to make it shoot better? Thanks, WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think the ammo will be fine. What powder and bullet are you running? I have a 223AI that has a 8 twist barrel. It shoots good at 200 with 52 grain bullets but can’t seem to get it tuned with 68, 75, or 80 grains out to 600. Tried Varget and RL 15.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Steve, the .223 has a Brux 1 X 8 twist barrel. I shoot varget powder, CCI BR4 primers, and lapua brass and 80 gn berger bullets. I have these loaded with 24.5 gn varget and I reduce the load to 22.5 over 70 degrees. I loaded these to shoot in November so the weather should be fine in February. I read somewhere that brass and bullets actually bonded somewhat with time. Not sure of this, but at least I will have an excuse. WWE

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.