6MM BR or 6MM Dasher??????

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 6MM BR or 6MM Dasher??????

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking at building a 6mm BR or should I look at a 6mm Dasher and what twist barrel?

Dennis Gray
      Participant

WELL WHEN I WAS LOOKING, READING FORUMS, AND TALKING TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, WHAT EVER THEY WERE SHOOTING SEEMED TO BE THE GUN TO BUILD. THEN I FIGURED THE THING TO DO WAS ASK THE BUILDERS. FIRST THING THEY WOULD ASK WOULD BE WHAT DISTANCES. SEEMED LIKED OUT TO 600 YRDS THAT THEY ALL TOLD ME 6BR WAS THE GUN FOR ME. THEN I WENT BACK TO COMPUTER AND LOOKED AT DIFFERENT TITLES, CHAMPIONSHIPS, ECT. ECT. THE 6BR HELD WAY MORE TITLES AT THOSE DISTANCES THAT WE MOSTLY SHOOT AROUND HERE. NOT SURE BUT THINK THAT STILL HOLD TO BE TRUE LAST TIME I LOOKED WHICH IS FAIRLY REG. WELL THERE WAS MY 2 CENTS SURRELL. HOPE IT HELPED.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I would think either choice would need a 1 in 8 twist barrel for the heavier bullets. WWE

Tony Graham
      Participant

Surrell,
      Ask yourself how much brass prep do you want to do? This will answer the question 6BR or Dasher. The BR only gives up about 150 fps to the Dasher. If you are going to turn necks, I’d say Dasher. If a no-turn, I’d say BR. The Dasher’s extra HP works well for 1K but a BR is still in the hunt at that range. 8” twist either way.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Surrell.
      Remember that opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them. Having said that, here’s mine. I believe you guys shoot mostly at 600. There is nothing more competitve than a 6BR Norma when the wind is consistent or low. If the wind is changing from 4 -7 miles an hour (and it ususally is), you will have more trouble bracketing or holding the 6BR in the 10 or X ring. The gentleman that said you only gain about 150 FPS is exactly right however that particular gain which is gonna be somewhere between 2850 and 3000 roughly, is critical for maximum BC if you are shooting an 8 TWIST, 105 gr Berger VLD, (which you should be in any case). Now all this tech aside, on a wind switching day, the 6BR Norma is gonna drive you crazy. On a calm day, everyone else can go home. LOL. I would recommend the Dasher or the 6mmX47 Lapua which is formed from 6.5X47 brass with a single stroke into a FL resizing die. The 6BR Norma is actually my favorite cartridge, but I don’t shoot them in 600 F-Class matches anymore. Remember 8 twist, 105 Berger VLD. In the Dasher or the 47 it’ll do wonders even out to 1000.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Jim, in your response above, will you please explain what is meant by “bracketing or holding” a shot. Thanks, WWE

ps. I will say that we just chambered my old BR into a Dasher and the brass forming definitely take a commitment.

Thanks all what my plans are is to use my new Bench Gun Britt built for me a while back that has not even been fired yet as a switch barrel gun that way I can shoot the 308 or the BR or Dasher or maybe a 6mmX47.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne,
      Bracketing, in my parlance, means happy medium – happy being a 10 or better.
      It is best accomplished in F-Class in a .5 – 2.5 minute wind.
      Basically I never dial, I hold off.
      To bracket I start prior to the match. Sometimes people think I’m rude but in truth, I’ve already started the match 30 minutes prior to “commence fire”. I am watching the flags for the extremes. Highest to lowest. If I estimate the lowest is .5 minutes and the wind is right to left, then given my ballistics I would hold at position 2-right (Ride side of the 10 ring). If I am at the highest wind or in this case 2 minutes, I would hold 4-right (Right edge of the 8 ring).
      Actually mine varies a little from that, you have to know your gun. Bracketing happens when the wind is betwixt and between (it usually is) .5 and 2.5 minutes but you aren’t sure exactly where. If you hold and fire at the target somewhere in between 2-right and 4-right, and you hit somewhere in the 10 ring then you have successfully bracketed. Bracketing works better for guys shooting iron sights because their target is bigger. No one has ever been able to explain to my satisfaction how you can bracket a 1 moa 10 ring in a wind gusting from .5 to 3 minutes. That’s why I stopped at 2.5 minutes in my description. All this is predicated on my assumption that you want to hit the 10 ring in the middle (x). If you hold dead center in the .5 you should hit the left side of the 10 which is 10 points in any case.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Jim, thanks for taking time to share this. I have a ‘bullet flight’ app on my phone and plugged in data at 600 yards. The app says a 1 mph wind from 3 oclock will move the bullet .5 moa and a 5 mph will move the bullet 2.6 moa which are basically your parameters above. If this is the case, not much wind blows you out of the 10 ring, so what are some things that you look for to help you determine your hold off? Thanks in advance, WWE
        ps. some of you good shooter get in here and help me out, there is something to be learned here.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Al Barr
      Participant

I’m all ears and eyes.

Anonymous
      Inactive

You may also want to look at the 6 mm brx

Right now i’m waiting on lead time on two barrels one 6mm and one 308……

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yep Wynne, “not much” is correct. Clarification: above in the 2nd post I didn’t mean that the wind is “usually” .5 to 2.5 minutes or in your case 1 – 5 mph. I was trying to say (albeit poorly) that the wind is usually somewhere between current conditional extremes. A bunch of things are indicators. Are the flags wet/damp? Wind direction. If you shoot any 6mm and you are successfully competing, you will learn to ID a condition and wait on it, especially when the wind speed variance is beyond the ability to bracket, The faster the wind is blowing the more small changes in the flag angle matter. Still I would rather have a high, relatively consistent wind and have to watch for minor changes in the wind speed/direction than a low to medium wind blowing up my behind but making slight changes in direction right to left (fishtail wind). At the Palo Alto (La) Regional this year on the first day it was flags up and down from 12 mph to dead stop. Roughly 30 degree variance in direction on day 1. It drove me crazy – dropped 6 points. The second day was about 12 mph all day long quartering from behind over my right shoulder. The flags were occasionally dropping enough to suck the bullet back to the right but I was lucky and happened to be looking when it happened. There were two match cleans that day in a 12 mph wind, Mark Olivier and myself. My wife, Andy, dropped one for 599 37x. (I’m sort of proud of her LOL). She likes the same kind of wind I do – I guess because I trained her. Here’s what you do if you’re just starting. Look, look, look. Never put a shot down unless you know what the flags are doing. Don’t let your shooting rhythm pull your eyes off the flags. If you do you’ll be shooting along, hammering Xs and suddenly hear your scorer say “9” or worse. LOL. After you’ve been doing this awhile it becomes less computational and much more intuitive. It takes putting rounds downrange – experience. You won’t get better sitting around thinking about it. Ya gotta shoot.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.