6.5 bullets and loads

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 6.5 bullets and loads

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

The fellow from Toby Powell Excavating writes in and ask: what is your favorite 6.5 bullet and why. Stated that he has a bullet that will shoot in a hole @ 119 yards but will not shoot in a hole at 500 yards and he cannot figure out why. Your comment and help with this is greatly appreciated.

Al Barr
      Participant

If was me having that problem; I’d know who to blame (me). Since Toby is better than a fair shot and has good equipment; let’s look at “could be”.

Powder charge such as weighing inconsistencies.
      Runout.
      Neck tension. I lost a duel with a custom 6.5×55, because I had not learned the “voodoo” of case annealing. It dawned on me when I could not chamber a full length resized case; no matter how much I shoulder bumped it.
      Barrel and throat condition. Probably not an issue with Toby’s rig.

Al Barr
      Participant

Toby did ask about 6.5 bullets. I’ve always had great results with the Lapua Scenar bullets in all weights.

I am also having good results with the Berger VLDs in the 6.5×47 Lapua, that Britt for me.

Bullet weights and ogive shapes depend on barrel twist and case capacity.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Al, I find myself wondering about a couple of your statements in your two post above. Your comment on case annealing has me wondering what VOODOO there is with case annealing and being able to chamber a round.

Also what in the world does Ogive shape have to do with twist rate? Bullet weight has nothing do with twist rate, it is the “Length” of the bullet that determine’s twist rate.

Not saying you are wrong but I sure would like to hear your thoughts on these two subjects.

Rolamd

Al Barr
        Participant

Well, shooting a bunch, being cheap, err ah thrifty, one can work harden brass to the point of spring back when resizing. When the brass reaches that point, one can see where neck tension might vary. Annealing brass, for me at that point, was like voodoo. Since I still do annealing by hand; I only anneal at midnight, during a full moon. Maybe when I grow up, I can get one of those automatic annealing machines.

As far as ogive shape and bullet weight versus the length of the bullet; I’m sure that your statement is correct. However, if one visits the Berger website and looks at the 6.5 130 grain VLD, you will see that Berger recommends a specific twist rate. That, for an old country boy, is clue.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne, I think we need a little more information before a logical reason can be at hand. What caliber is he shooting these 6.5 bullets in? What were the conditions like that when he was doing this shooting? What bullet is he shooting now?

It is a rare thing to have a rifle that will shoot at 100 yds and then not shoot at all at 500 yds, it does happen but it is rare.

Roland

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

The rifle is that good shooting 6.5 X 47 from Ralph, Al. I know nothing about the conditions. Mr P. do you care to join the conversation?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Al, I don’t want to have this sound like an argument and not a conversation, and I disagree with just about everything you had to say in that last post. So maybe I will just leave this alone until we can have this conversation in a less public way. Best regards to you.

Roland

Al Barr
      Participant

That conversation will be a pleasure.

Best regards, Al

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Al Barr. Reason: Spelling
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.