1st step after cleaning barrel ????

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 1st step after cleaning barrel ????

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

How many shots does it take to get velocity reducing oil out of your barrel after cleaning. Below are 2 pictures. The first is a string of bullets that were the first 5 shots fired out of Ad’s rifle after cleaning. The second picture is the 2nd 5 shot group fired. These 10 shots were shot consecutively at 300 yds. After I cleaned the barrel, I purposely ran approx. 30 dry patches through the barrel to get as much oily residue that I could out. I thought 30 patches would be extremely too many and wasteful, still you see that it is obvious that there was oil still present, or either I got to be a better shot on the 2nd 5 shots. If I only ran 10 dry patches and then shots, what do you think the results would be? I would rather waste patches than bullets to clean my barrel. What are your thoughts?

looks like my pictures loaded opposite of what I wrote.

Britt Jones told me it takes about 10 shots to get your barrel fouled out and then it should be good to go……This is a good question for Britt to help you on and it may be different on some rifles.

Tony Graham
      Participant

Dan,
      I don’t think it is oil that is slowing you down. I think it is the increased friction from the extremely clean barrel. The fouling from the prior jackets will fill any imperfections in the bore making it slick.
      When we shoot a clean barrel at 1,000 yard the first bullet down the tube will be approximately 1 MOA lower than the second. I never make adjustments off of the first. Chronograph shows that the first round will be approx. 75 fps slower than the average of the next four.
      I have never run a test to see many it takes to get the barrel to settle down. I always shoot five sighters in LG and sometimes I’ll shoot up to seven in HG prior to record fire.
      To find out if it is oil residue or just a super clean bore, try this. Clean as you usually do. After running your oily patches through the clean bore, run five dry patches. Then run three wet patches using Rubbing Alcohol. The Alcohol will cut the oil, and then evaporate.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Roland, I would like to think the loads were as close to the same as possible. I have very accurate scales and I measure seating depth in each bullet. I use br4 primers, I clean my brass well and polish the inside of the necks. On the other hand, this was my sons rifle, that I never shoot. Maybe it did actually take me the first five shots to settle in to his rifle. When I say never shoot it, I mean that I haven’t shot his rifle since we sighted the scope in at 100 yds when he first got it. Maybe it was me, but I do plan to retry this test in the next few days since I just cleaned the barrel after this past months F Class match. I will post my results. Thanks to all for the info.

Tony, I like the alcohol idea, I will definitely use that.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I have actually watched this with a chrony four or five times and my BR settles down after the sixth shot. That being said, I would say ‘ten’ is a good safe number. Looking at the two groups, I would tend to believe the vertical was a velocity thing??? As someone mentioned above, more testing would probably answer the questions.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I also use 91% alcohol after cleaning my barrel. It will be squeaky clean after that. I then run one patch through with a few drops of Kroil and leave it. Normally only takes 2 shots to be ready for grouping.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dan, Those are interesting photos, what they show is a load that is completely out of tune in picture 2. The big question is why? You make the statement “Velocity reducing oil”. May be the problem may not be. You would need to verify this by shooting this series again. If it in fact does repeat itself then you are really on to something. Then I would like to see this series shot over a Chronograph to see if there is that big of a difference. Rifles are like people in some ways, no two are alike. None of my rifles requires so many shots to settle in.

If you look at those pictures and the difference between #1 and #2 I would never ever guess that your problem was with how clean the barrel was. Look at the difference 6 times as much elevation difference, and 3 times as much windage. Hummmm !!!

Roland

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.