“SAFETY” What does safety mean at Reese Bottom?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room “SAFETY” What does safety mean at Reese Bottom?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Ok people if you shoot at Reese Bottom I’m looking for U to answer this question on this post . I will put my 2 cents in later on in this post.

Please share your comments.

scott parten
      Participant

Safety to me means showing up every time with the proper tools to be successful.
      – Research proven load combinations to reach the target distance
      – Careful loading techniques with chosen components
      – Load testing prior to the match to prove consistency and safe function of the load in my rifle. Safe function being no obvious signs of pressure (ejector swipe, pierced primers, hard chambering, hard bolt lift, or misfires)
      – Showing up with my head in the right place and practicing the four cardinal rules of gun safety
      – Understanding when ‘something’s not right’ with me or my equipment and getting up to keep myself and others safe
      I want to be invisible to the other competitors of the match during my turn on the line and watching them shoot.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Scott, you mention lots of good points. Safety and firearms are inseparable. I considered myself a hunter way before I ever tried long range shooting. With that being said, my beginner’s start was greatly influenced by my dad. He did his best to teach me right from wrong with there being no gray area. Back sixty years ago a high powered rifle was pretty much unheard of and all deer hunting was done on organized drives. I never will forget the Saturday morning we had all drawn our stand number and were waiting to pile in the back of a pickup truck to be taken to our stand and I was standing there with the muzzle of my shotgun standing up on the top of my boot. Dad saw this and took my gun, let me know what could happen, and made me stay in our vehicle while everyone else went hunting. I’m sure we have all had a similar experience that made a lasting impression. Back to safety at Reese Bottom, I think we all know what is expected and for the most part stay aware of what we do and what others are doing. I like the idea of the muzzle pointing up while being moved and having a chamber flag inserted in the chamber. Some choose to remove the bolt which is probably even better. If there is a safety issue at Reese Bottom, to me, it would be the frequency that either firearms or ammo malfunction. If the good shooter pulls the trigger and the firearm goes bang and the bolt opens and ejects the brass, then, to me, everything has worked as expected. But when a good shooter pulls the trigger and the firearm either does not go bang or goes bang and the bolt cannot eject the brass, then something has not worked properly and could lead to an unsafe situation. Know your stuff and if your firearm or ammo is giving any problem what so ever, do not get yourself hurt and for goodness sake keep it away from others. WWE

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.