Moundville Range

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Moundville Range

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

People coming North on 69 just past the 122 Mile Marker turn Right on David Campbell Road and I will have a sign up where to turn and park.

Al Barr
      Participant

Hey Surrell,
      For us rookies how about telling us what time to be there, and what kind of shooting that we will be doing? Is it prone, BR, offhand or what?

How many record shots?

Thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Surrell plan to be there Saturday morning. Bringing a guest first time shooter. He loves the sound of steel

Al all shooting will be done from the bench 20 record shots plus two tie breaker rounds if needed of 5 shots each so far we have had to do two tie breakers.I will be cutting grass at about 0300 and setting up for the match shooting starts at 0900 if you get there at 0730 or 0830 you will have so range time before the match starts.Chickens at 200 Pigs at 300 Turkeys at 400 and Rams at 500 two relays of 10 shots each and the tie breaker rounds will be unknown until the regular match is over and so far half of the shooters have made it to the tie breaker with 20 hits and targets must fall off the rail to score.All tie breaker shots must hit the target not the rail to score.I will get into the scoring more at the match and the size of the tie breaker targets are 6 1/2 tall and 4 1/2 wide they will be shot between 500 and 675 yards so far we have had 4 of 5 of these hit.Bring your own shade it will be hot……

July 23 at Gabriel Creek south of Moundville Alabama we will be shooting another match on steel at 200,300,400 and 500 yards Ben Mitchell won the match last month.Who will win this month?This could be you the July first place winner —- ——- everyone has a chance to be that number one shooter all targets are on the range only on match.The day after every match I pull all the 200,300 and 400 yards leaving only the Rams at 500.All tie breaker targets along with the chickens,pigs and Turkeys stay on my trailer until the next match for new paint and any repairs needed.What can you shoot?Anything from a 6 BR to a 300WM any Rest,Bags or Bipod and no Mechanical rest.We will be shooting from the bench 4 shooters at a time 10 shots each with 2 relays for a total of 20 record shots plus a tie breaker round at a unknown distance of 5 shots plus a second tie breaker if needed.Pay out depends on the amount of shooters shooting at $25.00 per gun you will be able to shoot 2 guns but not the same gun twice we can shoot 40 or more shooters per match.The range will open at 0700 and the match will start at 0900 you will be able to shoot before the match starts shooting will stop at 0830 so we can all get signed up and your name placed on the score card.

Al Barr
      Participant

Thanks Surrell,
      See you on Saturday.

Al Barr
      Participant

No mechanical rests, is that correct. That’s all I brought from home.

Al no mechanical rest someone will have a front bag you can use I will bring mine if I can find it.

It’s going to be HOT bring your cold drinks and your own shade……

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Need a report on what all happened at Gabriel Creek today. Please, WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Winner was Steve Gilley, second place, also placing in the money was another Reese Bottom alum.

Steve went 5 for 5 on the 4″X6″ plates at over 500 yards in the shoot off.

I believe that was a first at Moundville.

Good job Steve, you made us proud!

MR Wynne we had 23 shooters young and old some first timers and some of us old timers 11 made it to the shoot off at 525 yards with Steve Gilley hitting 5 of 5 new record on the tie breakers.Here are the winners MR Steve 1st 5 of 5 MR Al 2nd 3 of 5 and we had 3 shooters hit 2 so they went on to a second tie breaker and MR Ron Lewis hit 3of 5 for a 3rd place finish.

Al Barr
      Participant

Kenneth Thomas, another Reese Bottom alum, went 20 for 20 to make the shoot off. Britt is going to have to help him with scope adjustments if he keeps getting better.

Surrell worked like the energizer bunny setting targets between relays. Great job Surrell!

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Scope adjustments ???? Being as I shot the backer post two months ago, I am still trying to learn that there is a right way and a wrong way to make an adjustment. Good shooting Kenneth. The practice must be paying off. Keep it up. WWE

Larry Linneman
      Participant

are you planning any more of these type matches sounds just like the ihmsa pistol courses i shot many years ago?

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Larry, us Reese Bottom shooters would like to hear about some of your summer shooting. Hope to see you at the mid range prone match in September. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, Kenneth and I used a free ballistic calculator on cell phones, which accounts for local wx conditions.

One has to enter the particulars scope, barrel, and load. The shooter still has to catch wind switches and figure out what to do with them.

Steve Gilley did a terrific job at that last Saturday; maybe he will tutor the rest of us.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Al, were you and Kenneth please with the vertical information? WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Can’t speak for Kenneth; but mine were spot on.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.