Bench Rest Shooting……

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Bench Rest Shooting……

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Wow what a difference shooting from a mechanical rest over a bipod looks like I have a lot to upgrade starting with my powder scales front rest and rear bag.I let Eric Roman talk me into building a bench gun and shooting with big boys sure wish I had put a scope on it three years ago when I had it built and started shooting the bench rest thing all I can say this is going to be fun.The first match was not bad second match a little better I have a lot to work on from here so look out I might get good at this one day yesterday I shot 197 out of 200 with a 10 X count I was happy with that but still not where it should be.
      I did see a lot of movement in my scope with my set up I would look at the target and see the scope target dot off the x ring and readjust then get the rifle on my shoulder and readjust again I think this my be opening up my groups at different ranges……Bench Rest shooters tell me what you think what do I need to work on or what up grades I should be looking at.Thanks

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Surrell, you make some interesting observations here. I will attempt to add my two cents worth. You mentioned upgrades to you collection of stuff. Anything that will help your reloading become more consistent and anything that will help your set up become more stable are definitely upgrades. This is often an expensive trip, so the shooter must decide how he plans to get where he wants to go. Scales, rest, etc., are items that the shooter can spend all they want on. As for the reloading, I think good bullets and consistent neck tension are a must.

Now let’s take our stuff to the range. Go to the ‘Results Page’ and look at Surrell’s results this past Saturday. Looks to me like the rifle did it’s thing at 200 and 400. If so, what happened at 300 and 500. Find out the answer to this and things will begin to improve. Condition reading and consistent gun handling are a must.

With the new scoring system used at Reese Bottom, for a shooter to be competitive, he will have to shoot small groups in the middle of the target[= high scores] I think the sight in period is much more important than I see shooters giving it credit. I often see shooters use the foulers to more or less verify their elevation and sit there and twiddle their thumbs until they go to record fire. Windage is just as, or more important, as elevation, which makes that inside 15 second shot very important, so use it.

I could write all day about some of this and hope others will offer opinions. WWE

Mr Wynne I agree there are so many things that makes a difference I did shoot three sight in shots at 200,300,and at 500 but only one at 400.I could see a lot of movement at 300 to 500 in the scope at high magnification on the scope something I’m not use to is high end magnification I’m use to shooting at these ranges on 10 or 12 maybe more time behind the scope will help also if I can get the rifle more stable at the bench it will help.I agree the rifle did it’s thing at 200 and 400 I think we all need more range time but my time is limited on the range,working and spending time with my grandbaby these two things are the most important at this time I have plans on getting him behind a rifle in the next year so that is where I will get more of the practice I need.I’m on vacation this and I plan on trying to get my rest and rear bag out and try to see if I can find a problem with it or see if it’s just me moving but I’m looking at some upgrades and again maybe I only think I need to upgrade it may or maybe not help.I do hope others will give me some things to look at so I can make some improvements on my scores and group sizes Thanks in advance on the help……

Range time is what I need Range time is what I need Range time is what I need.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.