Reply To: Reading the wind

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Reading the wind Reply To: Reading the wind

Anonymous
Inactive

Wynne, Thank you Wynne those thoughts a greatly appreciated.

Wynne, there is no quick fix to reading the wind, and even the best wind reader in the world blows it at one time or another. If that didn’t happen then we all would be shooting X’s. I have spent hundreds of hours studying the wind and in shooting in the wind. That is really the only way to really learn is to shoot on those days when the wind is blowing.

Right after I retired from the Corps, I started shooting a game called BPCRS ( Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette ) this is a team sport as it is shot with Iron Sights only and each shooter is allowed a spotter. In this sport any shooter is only as good as his spotter. I became dedicated to being the best spotter I could as another mans score was dependent on my spotting, If I wasn’t shooting good one day or another I was still going to do the best job I could for “MY” shooter. One year at the Nationals held in Raton, NM a friend was spotting for me. At the Nationals you shoot for two days either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. The National is a 60 animal shoot with 15 each of each target each day. Targets are a steel cutout of four animals Chickens shot at 200 meters, Pigs shot at 300 meters, Turkeys shot at 385 meters and Rams shot at 500 meters. My second day of shooting was Wednesday when I got up that morning the wind was blowing steady at 45 mph with gust’s of 55 mph. When we got to the range it had actually gotten worse. It was so bad that they had to take vice grip pliers and clamp the animals to the rail as they would not stand there alone, and those Rams weigh 75 lbs.

A big shoot like this is luck of the draw and it was what it was. This year the overall winner was not going to be anyone who shot on Wednesday. There were two former national Champions shooting those same relays. I started on the Turkeys, which is by design a windage target as it is narrow but tall. I was using a Soule sight that had 44 moa wind right and left for a total of 88 minutes. When I layed down my spotter Bob Grider told me to put in 10 minutes of right wind before I shot my first shot on the sighter. I missed that sighter by feet, Bob says put in 10 more minutes, this shot only missed by a couple of feet. I finally got on target and go for number 1 animal I fire fast and its a hit, same on number two and three then we have a wind change that Bob see’s and he says put in 5 more minutes, bang number 4 is a hit but barely on the butte, I dial in another 3 minutes and take down number 5. After your first 5 animals of record there is a range break for one minute before you start shooting again. During that 1 minute break that actually turned into a 10 minute break because so many folks were screaming about the conditions. There were 15 shooters on the line shooting at the turkeys, the total turkey count for that first 5 was indeed 6 hits. That is 6 hits for the 75 shots fired and 5 of those hits were mine. When you can do something like that on a day like that it is the “SPOTTER” not the shooter, all I did was pull the trigger. We now still had the next 10 to shoot however, during that 10 minute break we had a complete wind reversal. Bob say take the sight to zero ( I look at my sight and I see that I have 36 minutes of right wind dialed in, at the turkey line which is 385 meters or 421 yds equals 4.2 inches per moa. I had a total of 151.2 inches a little over 12 feet. Now men that is a feller who knows how to read the wind.

Well guys these post are turning into books, it’s late but My damn arm is hurting so sleep is hours away for me so hows about I end this one and type Vol number three after I gather my thoughts a might.

I like this picture deal, so I’a going to poast a picture of the present my wife got me for Marine Corps birthday. Thanks Babe!!

Roland