Reply To: Bullet Seating Depth

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Bullet Seating Depth Reply To: Bullet Seating Depth

Wynne Echols
Keymaster

Al, I have 2 cents worth that I would like to spend on #4 & #5. Another interesting way to determine OAL is with a hornady modified case and their guage along with a 4′ wooden dowel and the bullet of choice. Remove bolt, place modified case on guage and insert bullet of choice into modified case, ease into chamber with bullet back in case, ease bullet forward until it touches the lands, now stick dowel through muzzle end and push the bullet back a little, now without tightening the hornady guage take one hand on guage and the other end on dowel and push back and forth until you are satisfied with the touch, tighten the screw on the guage and remove the guage, case, and bullet from chamber and take your measurement. Repeat until you are satisfied with your number. As far as seating depth and pressure, I have found out that pressure and velocity do whatever together. More jam will increase pressure and will generate more velocity. As you decrease the jam say all the way to ‘at the lands’ the velocity will decrease proportionally and as you come out of the jam and start to jump the pressure will begin to pick back up the more the bullet is forced back into the case and begins to compress the load. All of this is fun to watch while shooting through a chrony. I have no experience with the hybrids, but sure would be interested in the results of your findings. WWE

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Wynne Echols.
  • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Wynne Echols.